ResidentialResidential projects often pose increased challenges for structural engineers, as the architect, builder and client strive to achieve creative and functional design without compromising budgets and strict deadlines. Fortunately, they also offer great opportunity to deliver architecturally appealing and structurally elegant solutions.
Robert Bird Group are committed to the principles of value engineering: the overall material and labour expenses and construction time are reduced, delivering simple, economical structures that allow our clients to achieve their commercial successes.
Robert Bird Group’s commitment to delivering value-engineered solutions for both single and multi-storey residential projects gives Australia’s leading developers and builders a competitive edge. By understanding the specific project objectives and utilising the latest in design and construction methods, Robert Bird Group’s residential structure solutions deliver greater economy and speed to our clients, without sacrificing quality.
- Achievement of significant column-free space, particularly around facades and in balcony areas.
- Appropriate construction detailing and materials selection for adequate performance and durability.
- Coordination of services to allow for simple maintenance and future unit changes.
- Coordination of vertical structure through the various building zones, typically apartment / foyer / car parking.
- Dynamic performance of residential structures, which are subject to stringent limits on occupant perceptibility of movement during wind or earthquake events.
- Economical cantilevered slabs.
- Elegant structural delivery of signature foyer and façade architecture.
- Minimisation of “transfer” structures, which add building height, weight, services infrastructure and construction time - all resulting in cost increases.
- Planning and selection of basement car parking concepts versus above-ground car parking concepts.
- Selection of an economical horizontal bracing system.
- Selection of the appropriate construction materials and systems (concrete/steel/masonry/precast/timber) to suit the site constraints, preferred construction methods, architectural finishes and overall building performance.
- Civil works associated with residential developments.
- Coordination of on-site sales offices and temporary development infrastructure.
- High/medium/low density developments.
- High/medium/low rise structures.
- Long-term projects requiring staged construction.
- Mixed-use developments, with sections of retail, commercial or car parking in combination with residential.
- Open-plan style developments.
- Projects on or near the water or within highly developed areas.
Robert Bird Group have achieved repeat commissions from some of Australia’s major residential development and construction groups, including Australand, Devine, Mirvac, Pradella, Multiplex, Charter Hall, Stockland, FKP, Lend Lease and others.
The company continues to deliver residential projects across Australia and internationally, ranging from $2 million to over $1000 million in value.