Sporting FacilitiesSporting facilities are an important part of social and urban infrastructure, and the planning, design and delivery of such facilities needs careful consideration both with regard to optimisation of returns from the facility and of its role in a social context. The engineering of sports facilities is, as a result, vital to its acceptance by not only the players and officials but also the residents, adjacent land owners, the general public, the media and the business community.
Robert Bird Group specialise in providing high quality civil, structural and specialist engineering solutions that form the backbone of infrastructure components required for sporting related projects. Sporting facilities require engineering inputs and planning advice to be delivered successfully for operation and maintenance, with flexibility for change of use.
Robert Bird Group have the capability to provide input for sporting infrastructure commencing at feasibility and planning stages with value engineered construction solutions that contribute to its viability. We have demonstrated our ability to integrate architecture, engineering, construction, operation and maintenance during the planning phases to minimise both financial and environmental risks.
Robert Bird Group, in collaboration with a network of specialist service providers can deliver the full spectrum of services to meet the needs of sporting facility developments both now and into the future. Our capabilities include:
Cricket pitch layout, planning, design and technology;
- Design of associated retail, commercial and hospitality facilities;
- Drainage and flood control;
- Environmental planning and management;
- External road, rail and pedestrian infrastructure;
- Grandstand/Stadium planning and design;
- Planning and design for safety of players and patrons;
- Planning and design of multi-modal public transport infrastructure to ensure the development fits within the framework of the relevant regional centre with access to all areas;
- Planning and design of water and waste water reticulation services;
- Planning for communications and information technology networks including real time stadium displays;
- Planning for continuous operation of all facilities whilst new works are underway; and
- Playing field arenas including surface, subsurface and drainage considerations.
Robert Bird Group’ engineers are also leading the way with innovative structural systems that could revolutionise stadium roof design and construction. Working in conjunction with leading Australian universities such as Queensland University of Technology and Sydney University, Robert Bird Group are investigating the use of dual-catenary cable roof systems that reduce the mass of roof structures by as much as 70%. Ongoing research and development of these systems, coupled with practical construction methodology, will deliver tomorrow’s stadium designs.